August 9, 2017: City of Lansing Workshop
Your input from the City of Lansing Workshop
The City of Lansing anticipates that Michigan Avenue, from Pennsylvania Avenue to west of US-127, will be reconstructed within five years – including sidewalks and the street. This is a once-in-a-generation opportunity to redesign the street. Community input on the street design will help shape the Avenue!
On August 9, 2017, two workshops were held and community participants gave feedback on four preassembled street designs that were created by the Shaping the Avenue team based on best practices. Participants added, removed and changed street design elements, or created their own design proposal! They also indicated their preferences for potential streetscape aesthetics, transit amenities, and placemaking opportunities.
The Shaping the Avenue team is working to develop a draft set of street design regulations and drawings based upon feedback received. Those will be presented at public events in mid-September, and will also be available on the City’s website and the Shaping the Avenue website.
Preassembled Street Designs:
Shaping the Avenue Redesign Goals:
• Strengthen the investment in neighborhoods along the Avenue.
• Stimulate desired redevelopment along the Avenue.
• Improve mobility for people of all ages and income levels.
• Improve safety for all types of travelers.
• Increase transit ridership along the Avenue.
• Meet the needs of key destinations (downtown Lansing, Cooley Law School Stadium, the Lansing Center and Sparrow Hospital).
• Help implement the Lansing community’s non-motorized plan and the Design Lansing Master Plan.
• Promote the unique characteristics of the different districts but also create a uni ed Avenue from downtown Lansing to Meridian Township.